This edited volume analyses the factors related to good governance in the Sahel, and it explores how the quality of governance is influenced by and can affect the management of demographic changes, climate change and mobility. This research is structured around four main axes: first, analysing the factors underpinning good governance in the Sahel; second, focusing on the governance of mobility, demography and climate to explore the relationship between governance and these issues; third, examining specific case studies, namely Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger; and finally, addressing the role of key international actors in the region, including the EU. Each chapter also sets out some key progressive policy recommendations for local and international stakeholders.
This book is the result of a project by FEPS in collaboration with Istituto Affari Internazionali, entitled “Governance and security in the Sahel: tackling mobility, demography and climate change”.
Foreword / Ernst Stetter and Nathalie Tocci, p. 7-8
Introduction / Bernardo Venturi and Vassilis Ntousas, p. 9-13
1. Hybrid Governance and Mobility in the Sahel: Stabilisation Practices Put to the Test / Luca Raineri and Youssouf Bâ, p. 15-38
1. The hybrid governance of fragile states in the Sahel
2. Governance and mobility: examples of bad practices
3. Conclusions: stabilisation versus good governance?
2. Climate Change, Mobility and the Demographic Dynamic in Burkina Faso and Mali: What Impact on Women and Children? / Nana Alassane Toure, p. 39-52
1. Differing views of climate change, its underlying factors and its consequences
2. From uncontrolled demographic dynamics to 360-degree mobility
3. Demographic Change and Migrant Movements in Niger: The Role and Impact of Governance / Hamidou Issaka Maga, p. 53-79
1. A poor country with a rapidly rising population
2. Governance coping with the demographic challenges: best to dodge the constraints
3. Diversified migratory movements
4. Governing migration: direct and indirect measures
5. Prospects and recommendations
4. Governance, Climate Change and Security Challenges: The Case of Lake Chad / Saleh Bala and Richard Ali, p. 81-99
1. The Lake Chad Basin and its security in the context of the Sahel region
2. Migration and transhumance as exacerbating factors in the Chad Basin crisis
3. Governance structures and practices in the Lake Chad Basin
5. An EU Integrated Approach in the Sahel: The Role for Governance / Bernardo Venturi, p. 101-124
1. The EU in the Sahel
2. Diagnosis of EU involvement on governance in the Sahel
6. From China to the Gulf Countries: The Impact of Foreign Powers on Governance in the Sahel / Anca-Elena Ursu, p. 125-143
1. China in the Sahel
2. En-Gulf-ed in the Sahel
7. Notes for Further Research / Luca Barana, p. 145-148
Abbreviations and Acronyms, p. 149-153
Contributors, p. 155-160
Dive into the insightful analysis published in IPS Journal by Tom Theuns, Assist. Prof at Leiden University, and László Andor, FEPS Secretary General, examining the Dutch election results and the conclusions that need to be drawn for a successful EU Integration
Une réforme de l’UE qui intéressera forcément les Suisses
by Le Temps 24/11/2023
'EU reform bound to be of interest to the Swiss', an opinion piece in Le Temps on EU Treaties changes by Maria João Rodrigues, FEPS President, Guillaume Klossa, Director of think tank EuropaNova and Daniela Schwarzer, Executive board member Bertelsmann Stiftung
« Le moment est venu de lancer un débat sur la réforme de l’Union européenne »
by Le Monde 22/11/2023
'The time has come to launch a debate on the reform of the European Union', an opinion piece in Le Monde on Eu Treaties changes by Maria João Rodrigues, FEPS President, Guillaume Klossa, Director of think tank EuropaNova and Daniela Schwarzer, Executive board member Bertelsmann Stiftung
Is it time to turn down the volume on the migration debate?
by IPS Journal 13/11/2023
IPS Journal article about FEPS policy briefs 'Communicating on migration'
Other cookies are used for Advertisement and Analytics (Sharing on social networks, video playing, analysis and statistics, personalized advertising ...) You can refuse them if you want to. REJECTACCEPTCookie settings